WKTV marked a first this fall by being involved with the 2013 Grand Awards at the Civic Theater honoring local actors, productions and designers. The annual event, in its 17th year, also raises money for the Combined Theater Scholarships. In typical theatrical fashion, WKTV staged and produced a Red Carpet preshow event featuring the nominees prior to the award ceremony. According to Nate Diedrich, Community Media Coordinator at WKTV, being involved with strong, local organizations like Civic Theater, is a win-win opportunity for all.
“Not only does it enable us to support the efforts of the local arts, it also allows us to give the community locally originated, locally produced content that they wouldn’t normally have access to,” he says.
In addition to the Red Carpet production, the station also taped the award ceremony and interviews with the winners during the after show party. WKTV will air the event in the near future; stay tuned for dates and times.
Congratulations to the 2013 winners:
• Outstanding Musical: “Next to Normal” (Actors’)
•Lead Actor: Larry Young, “Sweeney Todd” (Circle)
• Lead Actress: Kelly Carey, “Next to Normal” (Actors’)
• Supporting Actor: Stephen Grey, “ Sweeney Todd”
• Supporting Actress: Maggie Nye, “Next to Normal”
• Director: Fred Sebulske, “Next to Normal” (Actors’)
• Musical Direction: Wright McCargar, “Sweeney Todd” (Circle) • Choreography: Mary Lohman, “The Wedding Singer” (Circle)
• Outstanding Play: “A Steady Rain” (Actors’)
• Lead Actor : (Actors’); Todd Lewis, “A Steady Rain” (Actors’)
• Lead Actress: Samantha Rena Dam, “Nadia”(Actors’)
• Supporting Actor: Andrew McClelland, “Looking for Normal” (Actors’)
• Supporting Actress: Kitty Carrico Carpenter, “Looking for Normal” (Actors’)
• Director :Jeralyn Pinsky, “A Steady Rain” (Actors’)
• Scenic Design: Christian Poquette, “Next to Normal” (Actors’)
• Lighting Design: Catherine Marlett Dreher, “Sweeney Todd” (Circle); Paul A. Dreher and Catherine Marlett Dreher, “Wait Until Dark” (Circle)
• Costume Design: Robert Fowle “Boeing-Boeing” (Circle)
• Outstanding Production: “Amadeus” (Aquinas)
• Lead Actor: Micah Hazel, “The Ladies Man” (GRCC)
• Lead Actress: Rachel Varley, “Reckless” (Aquinas)
• Supporting Actor: Christopher VanderArk, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” (Cornerstone)
• Supporting Actress: Meeka Postman, “Crooked” (GRCC)
• Direction: Paul A Dreher, “Amadeus” (Aquinas)
THEATER FOR YOUNG AUDIENCES
• Outstanding production: “The Mystic Tale of Aladdin” (Circle).
The three hour presentation gave special tribute to the late great Paul Dreher, longtime managing director of Civic Theater.