By ACSET Community Action Agency
For 20 years, a group of compassionate individuals has bundled up on a cold Saturday morning in the middle of winter to walk. Why? The walkers brave the cold so less-fortunate families don’t have to. They walk for warmth!
The Walk for Warmth is a statewide effort to help low-income households avoid utility shut-offs and keep their homes warm. ACSET Community Action Agency (CAA) will host the 21st annual walk in Kent County on Saturday, Feb. 11 in Grand Rapids.
Energy costs take up a greater portion of the household budgets of lower-income families than those of higher-income families. The increased burden on lower-income households reduces the amount of income left for basic needs like food, housing and healthcare. Last year, ACSET CAA provided over $1 million in utility payment assistance for homes in Kent County.
Hundreds of residents in our community struggle to pay their utility bills, and the need for assistance outweighs ACSET CAA’s ability to help. Every dollar raised through Walk for Warmth directly helps local families in need.
Want to help? Walk for Warmth offers a variety of ways to get involved:
- Become a sponsor. Sponsors will receive recognition of their support in marketing materials and the day of the event. Businesses can connect their brand with a truly heart-warming event. Learn more about sponsor opportunities here.
- Sell mittens. Contact a Walk for Warmth representative (give a phone number or email) and ask for a supply of “mittens.” The mittens are $1 each; write the name of the person purchasing the mitten and display at your office or business.
- Get competitive. Hold a chili cook-off or cookie bake-off at your work, school or church. For a small donation ($5), tasters can vote on their favorite.
- Give an in-kind donation. Consider making a donation of coffee, hot chocolate, juice, water, bagels, donuts or other refreshments for walkers on the day of the event.
- Join the walk! Ask friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. to join you or support you with a pledge. You can find a pledge form on ACSET CAA’s website by clicking here.
Date: Saturday, February 11, 2017
Time: 8 am Registration; 9 am Walk Kick Off
Where: ACSET Westside Complex
215 Straight Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
The Walk for Warmth is an annual event, hosted by Community Action Agencies across the country, to raise funds for heating assistance for low-income households. Learn more: http://communityactionkent.org/walk-for-warmth-2017/
Your Community in Action! is provided by ACSET Community Action Agency. To learn more about how they help meet emergency needs and assist with areas of self-sufficiency, visit www.communityactionkent.org.