In a world where food and film are the modern expressions of culture, the Grand Rapids Downtown Market and the UICA announce “Big Screen Cuisine,” an interactive culinary and cinematic experience that seeks to bring dishes to life that are inspired by classic and modern foodie film favorites and accompanied by a same-day movie screening.“Big Screen Cuisine” makes its debut on Sunday, September 27
. Ticket prices will vary and will allow attendees to engage in a hands-on, top-level culinary food experience with fantastic food from local chefs. Attendees will also have the opportunity to tour the UICA, relax in the theatre, and watch the paired movie with a new and very personal understanding of all the culinary scenes they’re viewing. Depending on the experience, the culinary portion of the night may fall before or after the screenings.“Big Screen Cuisine will utilize films from all over the world while exploring diverse cultures and food histories through hands-on connection and interaction,” said Mimi Fritz, president and CEO of the Downtown Market. “Our goal is to help educate cooks of all ages and experience by bringing to life the flavors from the big screen.”Over th
e course of the year-round, once-monthly film series, guests will be treated to various lessons in creating delicacies such as chocolate, pastries, cocktails, French cuisine as well as wine tastings and charcuterie, an all-ages cooking class and even an occasional succulent chef’s dinner.
“UICA and the Downtown Market are creating a deliberate connection between the sights and sounds of the film experience with the tastes and aromas of the local food culture,” said Miranda Krajniak, executive director of the UICA. “Audiences can explore the UICA and broaden their knowledge of not only art, but food, film and how they translate into a unified experience.”
For more info, click here
Here’s the full schedule of screenings:
- Sept. 27: Chocolat; chocolate class: 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Oct. 18: Sideways; wine tasting and charcuterie 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Nov. 22: Ratatouille; all-ages cooking class 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 6: Babette’s Feast; movie at 3 p.m., chef’s dinner at 5:30 p.m.
- Jan. 24: Hey Bartender; cocktail class and charcuterie 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Feb. 21: The 1000-foot Journey; movie at 3 p.m., chef’s dinner at 5:30 p.m.
- Mar. 27: Grand Budapest Hotel; pastry class 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Apr. 17: Bottle Shock; wine tasting and charcuterie 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- May 15: The Big Night; movie at 3 p.m., chef’s dinner at 5:30 p.m.
- Jun. 26: Julie & Julia; movie at 3 p.m., French cooking class at 5:30 p.m.
- Jul. 17: Waitress; pie class 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., movie at 5:30 p.m.
- Aug 28: Like Water For Chocolate; movie at 3 p.m., chef’s dinner at 5:30 p.m.