Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears; see Tip) or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Whisk flour, milk, eggs, 1 tablespoon oil, baking power, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn and basil.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet lightly with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; heat over medium heat until hot (but not smoking). Cook 4 cakes at a time, using about 1/4 cup batter for each, making them about 3 inches wide.
- Cook until the edges are dry, about two minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, making 10 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Tips and Notes
Tip: To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 180 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.