Catch the flicks on a 50-foot screen starting at dusk at Ah-Nab-Awen Park in downtown Grand Rapids on six Friday nights starting in June. Here’s the lineup:
- June 3: The Wizard of Oz
- June 17: Men in Black
- July 8: A League of Their Own
- July 22: The Mask of Zorro
- August 5: Edward Scissorhands
- August 19 double feature: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and a TBD Voter’s Choice film
Public voting to select the Voter’s Choice film will open June 3.
This summer, DRGI will experiment with three new event innovations to continue growing a more inclusive, welcoming and sustainable event. These innovations include:
- Including subtitles for Spanish-speaking attendees and people with hearing impairments. Spanish subtitles will accompany the films played on June 3, July 8 and August 5. English subtitles will accompany films played on June 17, July 22 and August 19.
- Partnering with the High Five Program to increase recycling rates, divert waste from the landfill and work towards achieving a zero waste event.
- Partnering with a Coalition for Tobacco Free Parks to promote the importance of fresh air, raise awareness of tobacco use prevention and support clean parks.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The park fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space.
- Free bike parking is available at the park.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you’d like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the park. If you forget food at home, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You’ll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing a blanket or chairs to sit on. Blankets up front. Chairs in the back.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn’t mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- In the event of rain, we’ll have to cancel the show. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on Facebook to stay up-to-date.