Oven-Roasted Squash with Garlic & Parsley
Winter squash becomes tender and sweeter when roasted—a delicious side for an autumn dinner. Look for interesting squash like kabocha or hubbard at your farmers’ market and try them in this recipe.
Makes: 10 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 pounds winter squash (such as butternut, buttercup, kabocha or hubbard), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss squash with 4 teaspoons oil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread evenlyon a large baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender throughout andlightly browned, 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the variety of squash).
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Addgarlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Toss the roasted squash with the garlic and parsley. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Cut squash up to 1 day ahead; store airtight in the refrigerator.
Nutrition: 104 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 6 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 555 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (16% dv)
Recipe of the week is a feature run by the Metro Health Farm Market. More information and tasty recipes can be found on their website!