By Ashley M. Deming, Michigan Maritime Museum
During the summer months, special “Pirate Chaser Adventure Sails” are scheduled on the tall ship Friends Good Will which are geared towards children, Wednesday through Saturday at 11 am*. The crew briefs the young recruits on operations and procedures that will insure not only the sighting of pirates, but also the capturing of the scoundrels and, in the tradition of the buccaneers, sharing in their loot. Never has so much adventure been packed into one 90-minute sail. For details and reservations call 269.637.8078 or purchase tickets online. *Pirate Chaser Sails also available on Tuesdays during the month of July.
How to Catch a Pirate
- Book passage on a Friends Good Will Pirate Chaser Sail.
- Get a dockside sword lesson from our crew to fight off pirates.
- Board the tall ship Friends Good Will with your fellow recruits, cast off the dock, and follow the Black River into Lake Michigan…then hoist the sails high.
- Look for pirates.
- Upon sighting, fire a warning shot over their bow, overtake their ship… if the pirates attack, repel them with gusto.
- Capture the scoundrels, recover our treasure, and sail for home to divide the spoils.
- Sails open to children 4 years and up. No exceptions.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tariff: $37 per person.
- 90-minute Pirate Chaser Sails will take place on Lake Michigan.
- Go/No Go weather decisions at sole discretion of the Captain.
- In the event of inclement weather, fares will be refunded or credited to a future sail.
- Fun for the whole family!
See the Friends Good Will schedule for sail times.